If you have a teenager in your household who recently obtained his or her driver’s license, you probably also understand that earning a license does not necessarily signify readiness for the road. As a parent, it is crucial to do your part to make sure your teen driver is truly prepared for the road. The last thing you want to do is worry about your child’s safety, so help ensure it by following some of these helpful tips, which can also minimize your costs.
Tips to prepare your teen:
- Enroll your teen driver in an education program: Make sure the education program you enroll your teenager in provides not only in-classroom lessons, but in-car training as well. There is no substitution for practicing behind the wheel and taking a program with a licensed professional driving school.
- Teach responsibility: Driving can be fun and many teenagers are excited for the freedom that inherently comes with a new license. It is important to teach them that this privilege also comes with responsibilities. Is your teen going to pay for his or her own gas, car insurance, or maintenance check-ups? These expenses do not have to be your teen’s responsibility now, but make sure he or she at least understands the costs associated with operating a motor vehicle.
- Using a seatbelt is a must: Your teenager should understand that wearing a seatbelt is mandatory. If your teen has passengers, they should be wearing seatbelts as well.
- Ban the use of electronic devices while driving: Texting or answering and making phone calls are all distracting and dangerous habits. It is critical that your teen driver understands that he or she must never use a cell phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- No teenage passengers: Your teen driver is probably looking forward to driving with his or her friends, but having other teen passengers in the car can actually increase the chances of an accident. If you do allow your teen to drive with a friend, make sure it is only to and from school or work and during daylight hours.
Car Accident Attorney in Alaska
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you will need a strong legal advocate on your side to fight for the compensation you deserve. At the Law Offices of David Henderson, I have provided sound legal advice for numerous clients for over 20 years. You should not have to go through this difficult time alone.
Contact my office today at (888) 295-6566 to schedule a free consultation and speak with a reliable Anchorage auto accident attorney today..