Helping The Injured Throughout Alaska
Free Consultation 888.295.6566
Do I Have to Report a Car Accident to the Police in AK?

Do I Have to Report a Car Accident to the Police in AK?


If a car accident in Alaska results in bodily injury or death to any individual (e.g., drivers, passengers, pedestrians, etc.), or the total amount of property damage from the accident is an estimated $2,000 or more, state law requires the drivers to report the accident immediately to the local police department (if the crash happens within a municipality) or the Department of Public Safety (if the crash occurs in a rural rea not included in a municipality), or to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 10 days from the date of the accident. 

Remember, if a collision is investigated by law enforcement officials, drivers do not need to report the accident to the DMV. If you decide to report the accident on your own, reporting instructions are available on the Alaska Highway Safety Office’s (AHSO) website

But whether you are involved in a minor fender-bender or a serious multi-vehicle crash, it is wise to report the accident to the police. When law enforcement officials are called to the scene, an officer can thoroughly investigate the crash, document the evidence, gather information from all parties involved, issue citations if a party violated state or traffic law, arrest a driver if he/she is under the influence of alcohol/drugs, and even determine who is at fault for causing the collision. 

Additionally, the other driver may appear cooperative and friendly at the scene but may deny all liability later or claim excessive damage or injury in a minor incident. That is why you must err to the side of caution and contact the police to document the scene. 

Since officers are considered respected and unbiased third parties, a police report is considered one of the most important pieces of evidence in a car accident claim or personal injury lawsuit. Without a police report, your award or settlement may be reduced or even denied. 

If you have been injured in a car accident in Anchorage, AK, call The Law Offices of David Henderson at (888) 295-6566 or fill out our online contact form to request a free case review today. I have more than 20 years of trial-tested experience! 


Contact Us Today!

Initial Consultations are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.