The holidays are the time of year when time is spent with loved ones, where families embark on long journeys, and homeowners decorate their homes with vibrant lights and decorations. However, there are a variety of accidents and injuries that occur more often during the holiday season.
The following are the most common holiday injuries and accidents:
- Car accidents – The most dangerous time to be on the road starts on the night before Thanksgiving and ends after the New Year since there is an increase in alcohol consumption during the winter months. Furthermore, some of these accidents are either caused by fatigue driving or stressed driving, due to the pressure of the holidays and financial strains.
- Electric Shock – Since mishandling certain decorations can result in electric shock. According to a study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 5,000 a year received medical treatment for indoor and outdoor electric shock during the holiday season.
- Falls from heights – Based on a study by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), around 5,800 Americans have treated annually for fall-related injuries associated with holiday decorations. Most of the accidents are caused by ladder issues, while some are caused by stairs, rooftops, and furniture.
- Back injuries – Many holiday travelers suffer back pains or injuries due to lifting heavy luggage.
- Lacerations – Packaging-related injuries caused by opening presents.
If you have suffered any one of these injuries during the holiday season in Alaska, our Anchorage personal injury attorney is ready to help. If you suffered an injury due to another's negligent actions, The Law Offices of David Henderson can recover your entitled compensation on your behalf.
For more information about our legal services, contact us and schedule a free consultation today.