If you have been in a car accident, you are probably concerned with the process of filing a claim. Our Anchorage auto accident lawyer shares what you need to know if you have been injured in a car accident and the process of filing a claim.
Step One: Gather Information
At the scene of the accident, it is important to collect as much information as you can. This information will be used later on when dealing with the insurance companies. You will want to gather things like:
- The name of the other driver
- The name of the driver’s insurance
- Any witness’ information, like name and phone number
- The police officer’s information, such as name and badge number
- Photographs of the accident, damage, and surrounding areas
The more information you collect at the start of your case, the better protected you will be when facing off against the insurance companies. They will want a lot of information, so providing them with names, pictures, and detailed accounts will help you in the long run.
Step Two: Identifying Damages
If you are claiming property damage only, there are specific damages that you can collect on. These include:
- Damage to your vehicle
- Damaged or lost property from the accident, such as a computer in your car or your cell phone that broke as a result of the collision
- The cost of the rental car after the accident
- Other expenses, such as the cost of the Uber home after the accident
It is important to note that you will need to provide proof of out-of-pocket expenses. Keep all receipts and records of expenses to present to the insurance company.
Step Three: Identifying Injuries
If you need to file an injury claim, the first thing you should do is see a doctor. It is a good idea to see a doctor even if you feel fine since many injuries take time before they are detectable. If you are injured as a result of the car accident, you can be compensated for things like:
- Medical bills
- Treatments and medicine
- Wages lost as a result of taking time off work
- Wages lost as a result of not being able to work in the future
- And more
It is essential to speak to an Anchorage auto accident attorney if you were injured in a car accident. Our team at The Law Offices of David Henderson can protect you from insurance companies that might attempt to low-ball your settlement.